Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Manifesto and Pineapple Sorbet

I think I am becoming a serious food snob because the thought of eating food out of a box makes me cringe. Every time I taste food, I always wonder if it is made from scratch. And if it is not, I start thinking about the preservatives.



I am convinced that it is the preservatives in food that is so fattening, not the food itself. The more I think about preservatives, the more I distrust the common brands you see at the super market. Large food companies save so much money by adding preservatives to their food products so that they will stay on grocery shelves longer. It is the hydrogenated oils that start accumulating around our waist. And it is those preservatives that compromise the quality of the taste (Yeah, I’m talking about high fructose corn syrup!), but nobody can tell the difference because we as a consumer have become so accustomed to the taste.



Today I ate store bought ice cream and I could tell that the taste wasn’t as rich as it should be...and I kept wondering why it was so yellow. Mine never came out looking that yellow when I made it at home. I kept thinking to myself “I hope it wasn't made out of margarine”. Silly isn't it? Ice Cream doesn't even have margarine. But the color reminded me of it. Bleech!



Its funny because these strange thoughts never crossed my mind before. But it all started when I began to cook from scratch. I am beginning to notice that the more I cook from scratch, the more I can note a difference in the quality of the food and taste. Every time I discover a recipe for something that I can make from home such as my own butter, ricotta cheese, vinaigrette, bread, extracts, ice cream… or all-purpose solution, laundry and dish washing detergent… or dog food… the more I realize that you can make ANYTHING at home. So why as a society have we become so dependent on brand name products?? I think we have allowed ourselves to become so incredibly lazy. We say we buy these things because it is a trade off and we are purchasing the convenience of not having to make our own homemade food or products. But as a result, we have sacrificed our health. And the more we become loyal and dependent on brands, the more we get fatter and sicker.



That is not what I want for my family. I want to be able to control the ingredients that go into our bodies to ensure to the best of my ability that they are wholesome and healthy. From here on out, I vow that I will do my best to make my own food and house hold cleaners. I know this will not always be possible, but I will try and I will share each experience on this blog for anyone else out there interested in doing the same.

On that note, here is a great recipe for Pineapple sorbet. It was quite delicious and each spoonful was a burst of juicy pineapple flavor. The texture was not smooth, but more of a cold fine powder. This was definitely a refreshing treat to enjoy in the heat!

Pineapple Sorbet

1/2 pineapple peeled and cut in chunks
8-10 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup water

1. Puree pineapple chunks in a blender. Add sugar and water until smooth. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

Source: Annie's Eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment