Monday, August 31, 2009

Cheddar Frittata and Julia Child



I never knew who Julia Child was until the movie Julie & Julia came out. When I saw the movie, I was completely charmed. Julia Child was an amazing woman and an inspiration. Although cooking was considered an art mostly dominated by men in France, she graduated as a chef from the Le Cordon Bleu and immersed herself in French cuisine. She showed American women that cooking could be a fulfillment and not an obligation. In some ways she was also a feminist and she didn’t even know it. It was uncommon for women in the 1940’s to find love later in life, but Julie fell in love and married in her thirties. After reading her book, “My life in France”, I felt very inspired by Julia’s love for the French. It was as though French food awoke a great passion inside her and some where along the line she had found herself in France.

I really enjoyed “My life in France” and anyone that is a foodie would very much enjoy it. I feel that in at my young age, I have not had that passion awake in me yet. But when I think about Julie Child and her story, I hope and look forward to finding my passion very soon. Bon Apetit!



Cheddar Frittata

1/2 pound potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
coarse salt and ground pepper
8 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 package frozen chopped broccli, thawed and patted dry

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.In a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate, toss potatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 10 minutes. Toss again and roast for another 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool.

2. In a medium bowl, whish eggs, milk, mustard, hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Mix in cheddar and broccli.

3. Pour egg mixture over roasted potatoes and distribute evenly. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

Source: Adapted from Everyday Food.

No comments:

Post a Comment