Friday, August 7, 2009

Choconut Crazy Pecan Ice Cream

The last time I went to get ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s, I tried to order my favorite flavor, Coconut Almond Fudge Chip, only to find out to my horror that they had discontinued it. To my knowledge, that flavor didn’t exist anywhere else. Where on earth was going to get my fix?! I couldn’t believe it. I would never ever taste my favorite dessert ever again…until today. I give you, Choconut Crazy Pecan Ice Cream!



I was extremely pleased at how this ice cream turned out. Even my husband loved it…and I don’t think he even knew he would soon become a fan of coconut ice cream. So because of how spectacular it turned out, I thought it would be worthy of submitting this entry to the Got Milk? blog event held by Linda of Make Life Sweeter!. This blogging event was held to commemorate World Breast Feeding Week. Today is the last day as the event was being held from August 1-7, 2009. Although I have no children and I have never nursed, when I read the press release for this event, I felt touched by this movement and I somehow wanted to be part of this campaign. I can recall my mother telling me proudly that she had breast fed both my sister and that she knows breastfeeding was one of the reasons we turned out so healthy. I cannot imagine that nourishment being taken away from babies around the world, especially during emergencies due to lack of support. Nursing mothers need to be able to have priority access to food and water.

I hope to someday be able to nurse my own children for the six months that they need it. I am aware that it can be difficult, but I also know that there are many benefits that come out of breastfeeding. Linda does a great job of outlining the benefits of breastfeeding in this post.

Choconut Crazy Pecan Ice Cream

2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
8 eggs yolks
1 teaspoon Pure Chocolate Extract 8 oz.
1 cup pecans
1/4 cup condensed milk
1 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups sugar
Pink of salt

1. Turn oven to 300 degrees. Spread cocnut flakes on a spread sheet and toast for approximately 10 minutes. Take out and let cool. Set coconut flakes aside. Repeat the process with the pecans.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and salt until well combined.

3. Bring milk, heavy cream, coconut milk, and condensed milk to simmer in saucepan. Heat until bubbles form around the edges of the saucepan, approximately 8 minutes. Slowly add the milk mixture into the bowl of whipped eggs, while whisking to prevent curdling. Return all back into the saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture starts to thicken.

4. Stir in chocolate extract, coconut, and pecans. Let cool and cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.

5. Once chilled, add the bittersweet chocolate. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Source: Inspired by Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Almond fudge and Food Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment