Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fish Tacos and Coraline

When I saw the movie Coraline (Two-Disc Collector's Edition w/ 3D)
, based on Neil Gaiman's book, I was really impressed. It was really beautifully animated, yet creepy--kind of like the Nightmare Before Christmas. I loved the movie, so much that my husband bought me the DVD version and we watched at home in 3D. But I couldn't get enough of the story that I had my husband bring me a copy of the book from the library (this is one of the perks to being married to a librarian). The book was just as creepy and I absolutely loved it.

Photobucket

Coraline [Mass Market Paperback] is a twisted tale about a young girl who discovers an alternate reality where she meets a creature that looks just like her mother, except she has 2 black buttons for eyes and she calls herself her "other mother". In the new world world, Coraline is pleased to find that the "other mother" is eager to shower her with attention and delicious meals unlike her real parents, but she soon realizes that there is something disturbing about her and that the grass is not greener on the other side.

Gaiman does a great job with this story as it is well written. It may be marketed as a children's book, but it is a real treat for adults. But although this might appear to be a good bedtime story for children, keep in mind it is full of dark surprises that can probably cause nightmares.

Photobucket

But enought about this book, let's talk fish. My step father recently went fishing off Langara, an island south of Alaska. He caught and brought home a great deal of fish. I didn't believe my mother at first when she said it tasted like chicken, until she gave me a portion of halibut that I brought home and cooked for myself. It really did kind of taste like chicken. It was so fresh and delicious that it didn't taste like fish at all. My husband doesn't normally like fish but he really liked this one.

Originally I wanted to make macademia nut crusted halibut, but ended up settling for this recipe for fish tacos I found on Martha Stewart's publication, Whole Living Body+Soul. They were delicious.

Fish Tacos with Cabbage and Black Beans

1 tablespoon oil
12 six-inch white-corn tortillas
2/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 tablepoon hot pepper sauce
salt and pepper
1/4 cabbage, shredded
1 1/2 pounds halibut, cut into 3/4-inch strips
1 egg
1 cup panko
1 can (15 ounces) black beans
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Wrap tortillas in foil paper. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, stir together yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce; season with salt and pepper. Toss in cabbage. Set aside.

3. Beat an egg in a medium bowl. Place bread crumbs on a wide plate. Season fish with salt and pepper. Dip fish in eggs, then on bread crumbs being sure to coat well. Spread fish on an oiled baking sheet (I prefer to spray mine with pam) and drizzle with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. After 10 minutes, add the wrapped tortillas in the oven to warm up.

4. While fish is baking, cook black beans in a medium sauce pan with cumin and chili powder, 5 minutes.

5. Remove fish and tortillas from oven. Arrange tortillas with cabbage, black beans, then fish.

Source: Adapted from Body + Soul Magazine recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment