Saturday, September 19, 2009
Doggy Paddle and Play Day
Today I took Muppet to Doggy Paddle Day at the Multigenerational center near our house. It was soooo much fun! The weather was beatuiful, the dogs were happy, and the air was filled with cheery music by the Beach Boys. There was even a furry friend fortune teller there! He told Muppet, "Something you lost will soon turn up...keep digging!"
Muppet was really excited to see other dogs at the event and he wasted no time in smelling them. Except the dogs that were deep in the water because there was no way he was going in to there to mess up his mohawk. I needed to help him cool down, which I accomplished by pretty much having to drag him into the shallow to at least get his feet wet. Sure he's a poodle and poodle's were bred to be water retrievers...but this little dog was not having any of that. He had to look good for the Owner/Pet Look-A-Like Contest...which we won 1st place!
I hope you enjoyed the pictures as they probably tell a better story than I can write. So I'll leave you with that and this Peanut Butter Bones treat recipe that came with our goodie bag.
Peanut Butter Bones
1 package dry yeast
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup milk
1/4 cup molasses 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup rice flour
2 cups all-purpose white flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
2. In a large saucepan, mix together the potatoes, milk molasses, chicken stock and peanu butter. Heat, stirring frequently until boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Add dissolved yeat to potatoe mixture. Gradually blend in the egg, wheat, rye, and rice flours. Add enough flour for a stiff dough.
4. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape the dough into a ball and roll until 1/2 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut into biscuits. Place on ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch apart.
5. Bake for 45 minutes. Let cool overnight.