Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cherries, cherries and more cherries!

On Friday I went home with a 20lb box of cherries that came straight from a farm in Utah. I had placed the order a few months back after I received an email from my church that someone from Utah was going to be arriving to Vegas with a large shipment of cherries. I wasn’t prepared to have so many cherries since I didn’t think my order went through and I quickly forget about it. But when I got the call that my shipment had arrived, I decided to go with it. I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to start exercising my food storage skills. But it was probably more than I had bargained for...



So I decided to make a cherry salsa that I have been dying to make for some time. It turned our great! I topped it on some grilled chicken and the cherries made all the difference in the taste. The only thing that I would add for next is the cilantro.



Grilled Chicken with Cherry Salsa

1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grates
2 cups Bing cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or lemon juice
1/2 tablespoongarlic salt
coarse salt and pepper for taste
4 chicken breasts

1 Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. In a medium bowl, combine cherries, onions, cilantro (optional), and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine; set salsa aside.

2 In a small bowl, stir together garlic salt, olive oil and pepper. Dip chicken in mixture and coat well.

3 Grill chicken until done. Be sure not to overcook. Serve chicken topped with cherry salsa.

Source: Adapted from Everyday Food, June 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment